Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mayweather vs Khan in 2012

First Lamont Peterson in Washington, a fight Amir Khan said he’ll invite president Barack Obama to watch. Then? Welterweight, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. According to Khan, Mayweather has verbally agreed to fight him in the near future, probably some time around 2012.

The WBA and IBF Light Welterweight champion, who last fought Zab Judah in July, winning by way of knockout in the fifth round. He’s been gunning for Floyd Mayweather Jr. ever since, announcing he’s done with the Light-Welterweight division, feeling it’s time to move up and clean the Welterweight weight class.

But first, one farewell fight from the 140 pounders. Khan and Peterson confirmed their December 10 fight in Washington at the Tuesday press conference. For Peterson (29-1-1), a Washington native, it feels like the home advantage will be a decisive factor -

I respect Khan for his accomplishments and as a champion, but this is something that goes beyond all that. This is the moment I’ve been waiting for my entire career, and to win a world title at home is something that I will remember forever. On December 10, I will make my dreams come true and ruin Amir’s plans to reign over his division.

Peterson’s only defeat came against Timothy Bradley, the WBO champion, back in 2009. Amir Khan wanted to face Bradley all along, unifying the belts, but it seems the undefeated American wanted nothing to do with the Briton - I am looking forward to returning to the United States to face a worthy challenger like Lamont Peterson. I always said I wanted to be active and a true world champion and I will prove it on December 10. I know Lamont is a strong contender but it doesn’t matter that I’m fighting him in his back yard, I’m coming in as champion and will leave as champion. Khan was respectful, but obviously very confident.

Source: http://sportige.com/amir-khan-floyd-mayweather-jr-lamont-peterson/

No comments:

Post a Comment